Thursday, October 29, 2009

Update

Hey Guys,

Been a while since I posted. Frankly, I've been doing my best to keep up with the demands of the current 12 BTWG Project as well as coaching my "Biggest (Healthiest) Loser" team at RCI and coaching my private clients - all good stuff!

Just a quick update, especially for those who have been AWOL the last couple weeks due to illness, or sick family members; I know it's been a rough season for many of us.

Over the past 8 weeks I've introduced 8 of the the "9 foundational movements" of CrossFit and integrated each of them into various WOD's. Here are the 9 foundational movements:
  • Air Squat
  • Front Squat
  • Overhead Squat
  • Clean
  • Shoulder Press
  • Push Press
  • Push Jerk (only one we haven't done - wanna guess what we are doing next week?)
  • Dead Lift
  • Sumo Dead Lift High Pull
If you missed some of them along the way, don't worry, we will continue to cover them, learn them, refine them, and progress with them.

We've also been working pull ups, especially since I installed the pull up bar in the garage and purchased the "Iron Woody Bands" (www.ironwoodyfitness.com). On a recent Thursday session we worked on the Dead Lift and several of those attending worked up to their 3 rep max, which for some was at, or near their bodyweight! Glad I bought those bumper plates...

I've also been putting out WOD's on Monday and Thursday that offer a taste of the variety of CrossFit WOD's Singlets (single exercise WOD), Couplets (two exercise WOD), and Triplets (yup, three exercise WOD). Tonight's WOD? What is affectionately known as a "chipper" workout. A chipper entails a workout with multiple tasks to complete for time. If you have ever watched the movie "Fargo" then you will know where this style of workout gets it's namesake. Here is a little clip, though I would caution you before you watch it, it's graphic and not family friendly or for the faint of heart:



Tonight's WOD is one I put together and it looked like this:

Do 30 reps of the following for time; scale reps and movements as necessary -
  • Box Jumps
  • Sit Ups
  • 10 meter shuttle runs
  • Pull Ups
  • Kettlebell Swings
  • Thrusters or Push Press
  • Double Unders or Singles (if you do singles, double the number of reps)
I'm really proud of all of you and all the hard work you have been doing. I also appreciate all the support and enthusiasm you guys have put out there.

Next week we will talk about the road ahead and the schedule during the holidays, etc.

Keep cranking it, guys.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment